Thursday, January 12, 2017

Mending the nets: an epiphany


I'm not one to go in for New Year's resolutions, but it's tricky not to when you have a business that has a busy season at the end of the year. It seems natural to take stock of what you have just achieved while you have a breather and think about how you can develop your business. 

It was during one of these development chats with my at-home advisor (read hubby) on a congested drive to Yokohama, that the epiphany happened. He always says that when I discuss business with him, I've already reached my own conclusions and I'm just saying out loud what I've already decided. I think I just need reassurance from the outside that my decisions are sound ones. 

So, the realization was this... for the foreseeable future I will not be running any more workshops. There. Said it. Wasn't so hard after all. 

Over the last couple of years I have fretted, worried, prepped, marketed, booked venues, searched for materials, had no-shows, cancellations, amongst other things that I honestly don't always find very pleasurable. The pleasure only came during the workshops where I met so many lovely people. But it was such a lot of work getting to that point. 

Where I find absolute happiness is when I create, designing new lines, meeting people face-to-face and talking passionately about my work. I never talked as passionately about the workshops, nor really about them at all. It was all a bit of an afterthought, and that's not where I want to be in business. I want more authenticity than that. 
I want to shout about my work from the rooftops, be proud of what I create, give myself time to let the creativity flow.... not fill my head with worry. 

So, right now, fishing season is done and I'm busily mending my nets to get ready for new ideas and the next busy season.

Thanks to everyone who came to my workshops over the last couple of years. I really appreciate your support and it was so nice to meet you.
Victoria

2 comments:

  1. I think it is great that you have come to this realisation. Did you feel a big weight lift off your shoulders when you made the decision?
    I was in a bit of a different situation, but I was doing a lot of teaching at kindergartens etc. and then I got hospitalised for 7 weeks, during which time I made the decision that I would give up all my teaching and concentrate on what I really ENJOYED doing, rather than what I hated doing but brought in the most money.
    It was such a good choice for me and I've never looked back!
    I have been asked numerous times to return to the teaching scene, but have stayed firm... I hope you can do the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am standing firm. Opportunities can be acted on now rather than worrying about workshops. I think more doors will open as I have made space for thinking and development time.

    ReplyDelete